You probably don't think much about your home's electrical system until you have problems with the lights or an outlet. The wiring and even the electrical panel in your home can be damaged due to a power surge, pests, or old age. It's good to have an electrician check your system at the first sign of trouble so your home isn't at risk of a fire. Here are some times you may want to call an electrician for help.
Your Light Bulbs Burn Out Too Soon
Some light bulbs have a shorter lifespan than others, but if your bulbs burn out faster than they should, that could indicate a problem with your electrical system. Note if all the bulbs burn out fast or if it's just the bulbs on a single circuit or a single lamp.
If the problem is confined to a single light, the fixture could be the problem. The problem might even be caused by vibrations in a ceiling fan light. If the problem affects multiple lights, then an electrician can investigate to see if the supply voltage is too high or if there is another problem that should be fixed.
A Light Switch Doesn't Always Work
If you have a light switch that works sometimes but not others, there could be a problem with loose connections behind the plate. If the switch feels hot or makes a buzzing sound, call an electrician right away.
Light switches can malfunction just like outlets and wiring, and when they're not working properly, they pose a shock and fire hazard. The electrician may need to replace the switch or replace the wiring so the switch works every time you flip it.
Your Lights Dim When An Appliance Turns On
If the lights in your living room dim when you turn the TV on or when a window AC kicks on, there could be an overloaded circuit. Homes need more circuits now than years ago, so if you have an older home, you might need to have more circuits and outlets added.
Your electrician can install dedicated circuits so your TV and major appliances each have their own. This reduces the load on the main circuit in a room and eliminates problems with lights dimming.
You Feel A Slight Shock From An Appliance
You shouldn't feel shocks when you touch appliances or plug things into outlets. If you feel a shock when you touch your stove, you should call an electrician right away. Stoves pull more power than a standard light, so a shock from a stove could be dangerous. A shock could indicate a short in the appliance or a problem with the wiring. Whatever the cause, the problem should be fixed without delay for your safety.
Hi, I'm Victor Grayson. The bedroom is my sanctuary. After working at a labor intensive job all day, I look forward to falling into bed and relaxing. As a result, I really took the time to prepare my bedroom for the ultimate in relaxation. I paid close attention to the different types of furniture, bedding and decorations that would work well in that space. I used a variety of techniques to make sure my bedroom made it easy to rest without distractions. That means that my room is free of electronics and light emitting devices, beyond the single lamp on the bedside table. However, there are many different ways to set up the bedroom space. I will use this site to discuss the different types of bedroom layouts you can create. I will also talk about the wide range of furniture items you can choose for your sleeping space.